Carver College of Medicine is supporting the advancement of innovative technology through a GAP funding mechanism targeting medical devices and health software. CCOM faculty and staff are eligible to apply for GAP funding up to $60,000 per project. Projects require Chair support and department matching funds (5:1, CCOM:department).
Use of Funds: Development of medical devices or health software (e.g. prototyping, software development, sterilization validation studies, mold design, animal studies, First in Human study, usability study.)
Funds may not be used toward salary or students.
Grant solicitation will occur twice per year. Submissions accepted beginning 2 weeks prior to deadline. Upcoming proposal deadline: April 3, 2020.
1. Submit proposal using form below. UI Ventures will review content for relevancy and completeness.
- Project details should include description of 2-3 milestones and associated funds, timeline.
- Chair statement should include project title, acknowledgement of matching fund requirement (5:1, CCOM:department), and general support of project concept. PDF of an email is acceptable.
2. UI Ventures compiles a market and IP summary for each project. Applicant may be asked to provide input for the summaries.
3. Full proposal, market and IP summaries will be submitted to Selection Committee. Selection Committee comprises both internal and external members.
4. PI presents project to Selection Committee. Committee may ask questions regarding project, market need, timeline, budget.
5. Selection Committee selects projects to fund.
6. Selected projects are notified and 50% of approved funding is released to project MFK.
7. Upon project completion of first milestone, additional 30% funding is released. Final 20% of funding is released at completion after submission of Final Report to UI Ventures and Invention Disclosure form to UIRF.